Entrance Requirements for Domestic and International Students
Applicants enrolling in the programs offered by West Coast Ultrasound Institute must show proof of having graduated from high school or the equivalent. The following are some examples:
- Official high school diploma or high school transcript, or
- General Education Diploma (GED), or
- Translated and evaluated foreign secondary diploma.
A background check is required before admission into your program and prior to entering the ultrasound externship, Magnetic Resonance Imaging externship, and nursing clinicals.
Applicants must successfully pass the Wonderlic Scholastic Level Exam published by Wonderlic, Inc. WCUI does not admit Ability to Benefit students.
Wonderlic Exam Passing Scores
Wonderlic WBST Exam Passing Scores
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography – 18
- Cardiovascular Echosonography – 18
- Pediatric Cardiac Ultrasound and Congenital Heart Disease – 18
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging – 18
- All AOS Degree Programs – 18
Vocational Nursing Entrance Requirements
- All BS Degree Programs - ENG: 325, MATH: 325
Click here to view Vocational Nursing License Examination Passage Rates
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Submit proof of having graduated from high school or the equivalent (see examples above – Foreign transcripts/credentials must be evaluated for U.S. 12th grade equivalency by a NACES member evaluating agency)
- Pass the ASSET test with a minimum score of 60%
- Write an essay on “Why I Want to be a Nurse” in English in no less than 500 words.
- Be interviewed by the Nursing Program Director and/or Assistant Program Director.
- Be in good physical and mental health in order to perform the requirements of the coursework in clinical training.
- Current Physical exam required.
- Proof of current immunization records before clinical rotation.
- Applicants who are accepted in the Vocational Nursing program and request to receive credit for prior nursing education courses completed, must submit official transcript within the application deadline.
Pediatric Cardiac Ultrasound and Congential Heart Disease Entrance Requirements
- Diploma from an approved adult cardiac ultrasound program, or
- RDCS, RCS registry exam.
- Successful interview with Dr. Pierre Wong, (Program Director) or Karen Amborwitz, (Assistant Program Director).
- Pass the Wonderlic exam.
- There are no vaccination requirements for admission.
- Prior to entering externship or nursing clinicals, students must provide proof of current immunizations.
The following procedures are established for admissions to West Coast Ultrasound Institute:
To Apply West Coast Ultrasound Institute
The student must tour the facility and interview with an Admissions Representative. Information will include disclosures of completion, placement rates, tuition payment plans, and the applicant’s professional educational goals.
All Applicants Must
Complete an Enrollment Application. (Download application here)
- Include a $100.00 application fee (U.S. Dollars).
- Submit a copy of a picture ID (driver’s license or an identification card).
- Complete a background check.
- Provide proof of high school completion or GED (as stated above).
- Pass the entrance examination.
- Write a one page personal statement on why you want to attend West Coast Ultrasound Institute.
Acceptance in to the programs is conditional upon meeting all deadlines to complete funding paperwork.
If enrollments exceed class availability, files will be reviewed by the campus director and notification of acceptance or denial will be mailed within 2 weeks prior to your scheduled start date.
Credit for Previous Training
West Coast Ultrasound Institute, Inc. accepts transfer credit based on equivalent course work. The Director of Education will determine equivalency. Refer to Transfer Credit Policy.
International Students Only
International students must also complete or provide the following after they have been accepted for enrollment in order to receive the I-20 form to apply for an F-1 or M-1 student visa:
- A Confidential Statement of Finances: (An official letter, or bank statement, must be submitted certifying that there are enough funds available for payment of tuition and living expenses).
- Payment of the first quarter’s tuition in advance.
- A copy of their passport.
- A copy of the I-94 card.
- Take a iBt TOEFL test used to measure English skills and pass with a score of 62 or higher.
You may download the latest School Catalogs here: Catalog and other Consumer Information